Hi guys! How is everyone doing?! I honestly think this is probably THE hardest work week of the year. I don’t know about y’all, but I’ve gotten really used to sleeping in until 10 (!!), watching a lot of TV, and not changing out of my pajamas. It has been such an amazing holiday week and I’m SO sad we have to get back to real life!!!
New Years Resolution season has officially started, meaning there won’t be any extra room in the gym for the regulars and everyone is on a DIET.
You guys know I’m not a “dieter” but ever since doing my first Whole 30 last year, I’ve completely overhauled the way I eat. I talked about this in detail in this post but I am a former junk food addict that has changed my ways and overcome some pretty unflattering health issues.
So this month I’m buckling back down and eating as Whole 30 as I can (I have my brother’s wedding this weekend, and well… just being honest with myself here). But this week I came up with a fun little lunch bowl to take with me on the go!
CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE.
Because I love fried rice.
And I know, I know, the idea behind Whole 30 isn’t eating “cheat” meals but I like to think of it as just an Asian-inspired cauli rice dish that just happens to be fried in a skillet?
I know, it’s a stretch.
Melissa Hartwick, if you are reading this, pls don’t judge.
Back to the recipe because I know y’all wanna try. (BTW, this recipe yields enough for about 4 days of LARGE lunch portions!)
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken and/or shrimp (I did a combo of both!)
- 2 bags of cauliflower rice (fresh or frozen, I went with the organic frozen version from Whole Foods but Trader Joe’s has fresh!)
- 1 bundle green onion
- 1 carton mushrooms
- 1 yellow or white onion
- 1 egg (optional)
- Broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- Carrots (I got some multicolored organic sliced carrots from Whole Foods… They look fancy but they were literally $2)
- Coconut amigos (this is basically naturally soy- and gluten-free soy sauce)
- Red Boat fish sauce (this definitely isn’t necessary but it adds some nice flavor)
- Sesame oil (not pictured below BUT if you don’t already have this, you will be OBSESSED – it’s so good)
- Garlic powder, salt, pepper (always)
- Heat sesame oil in a large wok or skillet. Peel shrimp and/or slice chicken. Since I used both, I sliced the chicken and got it started cooking while I peeled the shrimp.
- Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a dash of coconut aminos to your chicken. Cook until the outsides are white. Add your shrimp & the same seasonings. Cook through.
- While your meat is cooking, chop your broccoli, green onion, & white or yellow onion.
- Put the meat aside, and using the same pan, add about 2 tbsp of sesame oil, heat, and add all veggies except your cauliflower rice. Once the frozen veggies have de-thawed, season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, coconut aminos, and fish sauce.
- Add your cauliflower rice and continue to cook. Let it sit so the veggies can brown. Taste test & add seasonings as desired. If you’re adding egg, go ahead and crack that bad boy and scramble it in your rice mixture.
- Combine your veggies & rice with your meat, sprinkle some extra green onion on top, & ENJOY.
I like to throw mine in these glass bowls from Amazon so they’re super easy to take on-the-go.
So tell me… is this something you would try? Do you have your own cauli rice recipe that you love? Tell me everything! I will be back Thursday with a new coffee talk! See you then. Xo.
P.S. MINIMALIST CHALLENGE UPDATE: I successfully spent 24 hours “offline” with the exception of researching some stuff for my blog. It literally took me 30 minutes to scroll through Instagram this morning and I was SO over it. I also had a super productive day because I wasn’t on my phone the whole time. TODAY: Meditating for 15 minutes. Will probz do this after work with some candles on to really set the mood. Will keep you updated!