Hi friends!!! How is everyone doing today?! I am in the BEST mood because my mom, Mumsy, gets here tonight and we are spending the whole weekend just hanging out, shopping, and drinking more coffee than we can handle. I cannot WAIT. But now I’m ferociously typing this, running late (of course lol) because I decided it was a good idea to assemble two ginormous lamps last night instead of working on it.
So do you guys have your coffee? I am CHUGGING.
BUT I wanted to talk about this topic today because I know so many of you, if not all, can totallyyyyy relate. And it’s super relevant in MY life right now and something that some people are too embarrassed to talk about.
It’s touchy, you know?
But I want to talk about my METABOLISM.
And the day it came to a screeching halt.
So let’s back up a minute.
It’s 2011, and per usual, I am stuffing Wendy’s nugs and a large fry in my mouth and washing it down with a Diet Coke (my Diet Coke days were a brief but serious love affair). And ANY time I ate this meal in front of anyone older I ALWAYS heard the inevitable.
“You should enjoy that now while you can, one day your metabolism is going to slow down and that’ll go straight to your hips.”
“I used to be able to eat that, but then my metabolism slowed down. Now look at me!”
We’ve all heard this, right? Maybe even in middle or high school?
I would just roll my eyes, think that maybe I was one of the lucky ones that could just always eat what they wanted and never gain a pound.
Well y’all IT HAPPENED.
And it happened FAST.
And it didn’t happen mid-NUG like the old days, it happened mid-Chipotle, mid-bottle-of-wine, mid-I-have-a-little-candy-craving-so-I’m-going-to-eat-a-piece. It seriously felt FEELS like any time I take a “break” from my Paleo-ish eating habits that I can immediately see it.
You may think it’s all in my head, that I’m being dramatic, but honestly? My clothes haven’t been fitting right. Things look different on me. And swimsuit shopping for trips kind of felt like a nightmare. Hasn’t ANYONE figured out a way to change those lights so you don’t have cellulite…umm….EVERYWHERE?!
So yeah. I just wanted to talk about this. Because I know I’m not alone. I know I can’t be the only one that had this WHOA moment and finally felt their metabolism “catching up to them” like all the older ladies said it would.
But you guys. I’m not going down without a fight. I’ve started making some adjustments that are just necessary at this stage of life. INCLUDING!
- Working out (yes, I’m back on Class Pass, I feel like I got back together with an old boyfriend and expect it to work this time around, but I’m TRYING.)
- Shifting my carbs to earlier in the morning (more deets below)
- Buying bigger clothes and BEING OK WITH IT. I have made a promise to myself that I am not going to get hung up on numbers or the SMLXL letters. I just have to buy what fits and that’s ok.
- Shifting my MINDSET to be alright with a little extra love around the waist. Because nobody cares about that but YOU, you know that right?
So what should you do if you feel like you’re going through the same thing?
- Don’t stop eating!!! Eat more frequently + smaller portions. (see my menu from earlier this week for what I’m eating – plus, in between meals I have a granny smith apple for energy and natural beef jerky for additional protein). I know it’s counter-intuitive to eat more to stay slim, but your metabolism needs constant feeding to stay burning. Just watch your portions! I have been using actual measuring cups for carbs so I don’t overdo them.
- Plan your meals around your carbs. Eat more carbs in the morning and cut back as the day goes on. This has been an adjustment for me because I love me some rice, but it’s necessary to keep your body fueled correctly and prevent the carbs from being stored as you-know-what.
- Drink a TON of water. And drink it cold. A hydrated body is crucial to optimal metabolic function, and cold water is even more beneficial because your body has to heat up a little more to warm it up. If you drink 6 cups of cold water a day, your body may burn up to an additional 50 Calories. And that adds up QUICK (think: 5 lbs / year).
- Spice it up. Speaking of heating up the bod – it’s well-known that spicy foods can help speed up your metabolism. Throw some red chili flakes on your eggs in the morning or a little cayenne pepper on your roasted veggies for some kick. Stay away from sriracha which has a TON of nasty preservatives and added sugars.
- Put the bottle down (or at least make smarter cocktail choices). Look – I know it can be tough to be social and watch the drinking but alcohol is so high in empty calories! It may not be realistic for you to stop drinking all together but even just having 3 craft beers is the equivalent of a super heavy meal. Just make smarter choices – stick with wine (especially red for some antioxidants) or vodka with soda water and a lemon. Personally, I LOVE a good martini. And I only need one.
- Invest in organic foods. Yes, seriously. Toxins in pesticides can actually make it harder for your fat-burners to function, and can literally slow down your metabolism. It’s worth the extra $$ to eat quality, pesticide-free meats & produce.
- Go to your doctor. A gradually slowing metabolism is normal and natural as we age, but if you’re doing all the right things and still gaining weight, it is definitely time for a doctor visit. Thyroid issues and vitamin deficiencies can be sneaky culprits. Have your doctor check and make sure everything is functioning OK! (I’m actually in the process of this now!)
So… now it’s time for you guys to tell me… did you have a MOMENT that you felt your metabolism slowed down? Or do you feel like your metabolism has been slow forever? Is there anything you specifically do to keep your body burnin’? Tell me everything! Xo.